Sunday, June 25, 2017
About Us

A Brief History 

The Housing Authority of the Township of Irvington (IHA) was originally incorporated in 1949, in order to develop, maintain, manage and provide decent, safe, affordable rental housing for eligible, low-income senior and family tenant households.

The IHA site was named “Camptown Gardens”, in honor of William Camp, one of the original settlers of the nearby city of Newark, NJ, whose family owned the land along the Elizabeth River in Irvington (then Camptown) in 1750, upon part of which IHA was subsequently developed, much later.

The site consists of 670 rental units, as well as administrative offices and resident facilities, located on a city block, in fourteen low–rise and high-rise buildings. IHA also administers more than 600 Section 8 Vouchers, including portables.